You can open and download a recent version of my CV here (last update June 2017)
D.Phil. in Archaeological Science (University of Oxford, U.K.)
Thesis title: Investigating the Chronology of the Middle to Upper Palaeolithic Transition in Mediterranean Europe by Improved Radiocarbon Dating of Shell Ornaments
Supervisor: Prof. R.E.M. Hedges
M.Sc. in Archaeological Science (University of Oxford, U.K.)
Dissertation title: Seasonality of Neanderthal Occupation at Vanguard Cave, Gibraltar
B.Sc. in Archaeological Conservation
Technological University of Athens, Greece
Principal Investigator / Group Leader
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History, Department of Archaeology, Jena, Germany.
“FINDER” (Fossil Fingerprinting and Identification of new Denisovan remains in Pleistocene Asia) project. European Research Council (ERC) Starting Grant.
RLAHA, School of Archaeology, University of Oxford, U.K.
William Golding Junior Research Fellow
Brasenose College, University of Oxford, U.K.
“PalaeoChron” (Precision Dating of the Palaeolithic of Eurasia). European Research Council Advanced Grant (PI: Tom Higham), ERC-2012-AdG–324139. RLAHA, School of Archaeology, University of Oxford, U.K.
2016 Maternity leave (12-month career break)
Junior Research Fellow & “Fellows’ Fellow”
Linacre College, University of Oxford, U.K.
“AHOB3” (Ancient Human Occupation of Britain 3) project
Leverhulme Trust, RLAHA, School of Archaeology, University of Oxford, U.K.
2005 Museum conservator. National Archaeological Museum, Madrid, Spain.
2004 Field archaeological conservator. Kephalonia, Ministry of Culture, Greece
Teaching / supervision
2016-2019 PhD supervisor : Lorena Becerra Valdivia (University of Oxford)
2014-2015 Master co-supervisor : Lorena Becerra Valdivia
2011-2014 Linacre College graduate student advisor (12 students)
2009-2012 Undergraduate tutor, University of Oxford.
Modules taught: Science-based Archaeology, Dating methods.
2008-2009 Part-time tutor for the Oxford Programme for Undergraduate Studies
Module taught: Palaeolithic Archaeology and Modern Human Origins.
Grants, Awards, Scholarships
- 2017-2022 European Research Council (ERC) Starting Grant “FINDER”. €1,999,200
- 2014-2015 Evans Fund Award, Cambridge University, U.K. £2,500
- 2014-2015 Postdoctoral membership, Jesus College, University of Oxford, U.K. (declined)
- 2013 15th Tübingen Prize on Early Prehistory and Quaternary Ecology. Award €5,000
- 2012-2013 British School at Athens, Early Career Fellowship. Residential fellowship.
- 2012 John Fell Fund, University of Oxford. £7,200
- 2009 NRCF (NERC-AHRC) grant for 29 radiocarbon dates (with Snape et al.). £10,000
- 2008-2010 A.G. Leventis Foundation, postgraduate scholarship. £10,000
- 2008 NRCF (NERC-AHRC) grant for 55 radiocarbon dates (with Hedges). £18,900
- 2005-2008 Greek Scholarships Foundation (IKY) – Examination-awarded Master & PhD studentship. £40,000
- 2006-2008 Edward Hall Memorial scholarship. £3,000
- 2006-2009 Keble College Association Travel grants. £3,000
- 2005 Leonardo Da Vinci Intra-European Mobility Fellowship, European Union
- 2003-2004 St. Catherine’s Monastery, Sinai, Egypt. 3-month residential fellowship.
Organization of scientific meetings
Wenner-Gren Foundation Major Symposium “Human Colonization of Asia in the Late Pleistocene“, 18-24 March 2016, Sintra, Portugal. Co-Organizer, with Profs M. Petraglia and C. Bae.
15th International Conference of the European Association of Southeast Asian Archaeologists (EurASEAA). 6 -10 July 2015. Université Paris Ouest, Paris, France. Session organizer.
XVII Congress of the International Union of Prehistoric and Protohistoric Sciences (UISPP). 1-7 September 2014. Burgos, Spain. Session organizer.
Member of the Scientific Committee of the 21st International Radiocarbon Conference, 9-13 July 2012. Paris, France. Session organizer.
“Time for the Palaeolithic”, 14-16 April 2011. University of Oxford, U.K. Co-Organizer.
Service to the community
- Peer reviewer for Nature, Science, PNAS, Antiquity, Journal of Human Evolution, Quaternary International, Geology, Quaternary Science Reviews, Radiocarbon, etc.
- Assistant editor for PNAS.
- Media and public outreach (British Council, Natural Environment Research Council, Knowledge is GREAT, BBC World News, British Archaeology, Current Archaeology)